It is currently Sat Jul 20th, 2019 am31 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tunnel system
PostPosted: Wed Dec 7th, 2011 pm31 9:57 pm 

Does anyone have any info on the old tunnel system under Guthrie? The tunnels in Guthrie were constructed to avoid the snow. Later they were put to use during prohibition. There is rumor that they even held speak easys and gambling dens. Another use they had were so important men could go to the brothals without being seen. I knew an older gentleman when I lived there who told me about how he and friends used to play in them when he was a kid in the 50's. He told me about all the old slots and gambling tables he found down there once, but he said it was all rusting and rotting away.

Back in the 80's and 90's, when I lived in Guthrie, I decided to go searching for them. All I had were stories to go by. I found several entrance points in the basements of empty buildings, or ones that were under construction, but the were always bricked up. I heard that they had one tunnel that went all the way to the Masonic Lodge, but I never got a chance to look for it before I moved away. The best evidence of an entrance to the tunnels was in the rear right hand corner of the basement of the Ames building, 357 w. Oklahoma ave. just above the dirt floor was about a foot or so of the top a stone archway that had been bricked up.

I want to know if anyone on the list has ever had any luck with these tunnels.

Post subject: Re: Tunnel system
PostPosted: Tue Jan 3rd, 2012 pm31 2:59 pm 

I've been curious about these tunnels as well. Like you said they are connected to many of the basements in the area. I know some of those basements are currently used as apartments. I have been meaning to do some research on them. Keep us updated on what you find and pm me if you need someone to go looking with you.

Sara

Post subject: Re: Tunnel system
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10th, 2013 pm30 1:15 pm 

I live in Guthrie in one of the big Victorian"mansions". I have a big basement and there is an entrance to a tunnel down there. It has been bricked up. When installing my clothesline we hit the top of it while digging post holes. I was told it went to the house next door and collapsed in the 1950's. The problem with that is the house next door doesn't seem to have a basement...