It is currently Thu Oct 30th, 2014 am31 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Underground Tulsa
PostPosted: Tue Jun 1st, 2010 pm30 2:12 pm 

Looks like we've got the coming out of the wood work now Fiend!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17th, 2010 pm30 3:15 pm 

Hi to all..
Hey talking of underground Tulsa, have any of you heard of the strip mall with a crematorium underneath it in the basement? Its old and not used but its the basement with the strip mall on top.
Someone I've talked to has permission to go take pictures so I should be able to see the pictures soon. He will not say where it is at this time but would love to know the history.

Thanks..
Susan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17th, 2010 pm30 3:39 pm 

Cesue wrote:
Hi to all..
strip mall with a crematorium underneath it in the basement?

Say what?!? Now thats a new one for me! Bout the closest thing I know to that is a cemetary in a mall parking lot, but furnaces for dead bodies under a strip mall??? Man, Ive never heard of that. Something like that could only be in a few parts of town. 11th st comes to mind....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25th, 2010 pm30 1:15 pm 

I think the guy has been miss lead... I asked a friend who said in the 1920's houses and business had Kernerators in the basements and burned their trash in them. Kernerator is what is stamped on the front and looks like a crematorium might have looked like.
If anyone has ever heard of crematoriums being but by Kernerator please post.

Thnx

Attachments:
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg [ 29.33 KiB | Viewed 5540 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29th, 2010 pm30 10:43 pm 

Fiend wrote:
Several years ago, I remember reading something about a guy who had explored tons of tunnels in Tulsa, ones I've never even heard of. He apparently documented all of his explorations in a "self published" book. I wish I could remember the exact name of the book, but it of course was something along the lines of "underground tulsa" "underground adventures" or something.

Anyone else heard of this? Does this book really exist? How would I go about finding a self published book?

I didn't find a book but I did find this article. I'm not sure how much of the tunnel system you have uncovered so I don't know if this helps but check it out. http://hubpages.com/hub/Downtown-Tulsa-Underground-Tunnels

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16th, 2010 pm30 8:39 pm 

Count me in on any exploration associated with this. I work right across the river from the park (I work right next to the "West Tulsa Industrial" site, in fact). I'd be thrilled to find out if Tulsa has an abandoned subway or even just some neat tunnels somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16th, 2010 pm30 10:00 pm 

Eibach wrote:

I didn't find a book but I did find this article. I'm not sure how much of the tunnel system you have uncovered so I don't know if this helps but check it out. http://hubpages.com/hub/Downtown-Tulsa-Underground-Tunnels

Those are the pedestrian tunnels that are open during the day to the public. Though, some of them are "off limits" and or sealed off. Makes ya wonder....I found a tunnel on an old map from the 40's connecting two downtown buildings. It does not show up on the current map of the pedestrian tunnels....

Jam Master Jay wrote:
Count me in on any exploration associated with this. I work right across the river from the park (I work right next to the "West Tulsa Industrial" site, in fact). I'd be thrilled to find out if Tulsa has an abandoned subway or even just some neat tunnels somewhere.

Small world, I worked over there for 3 years, may be returning soon to get my old job back even. I worked in an old red brick building, if that gives ya any clues.

I drove by those blasted buildings for two years before I noticed them and decided I should check em out. Did some research recently and found out those "industrial buildings" are all that is left of an oil refinery that use to cover a lot of that area.

I've been hunting for that subway like a mad man ever since I heard about it. With just tiny little hints and clues to keep me going.

There are tunnels ALL OVER Tulsa, extensive, large tunnels, but all that I have found are just storm sewers. Although extremely awesome, arent exactly the type of tunnels I'm looking for.

There is a LARGE underground structure in north Tulsa that I've been trying to get into for awhile now. The city has gone out of there way to make it "Fiend proof", haha, but I'll get in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26th, 2010 pm30 2:11 pm 

I am extremely interested in this! Any way I can help? Just let me know!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26th, 2010 pm30 6:46 pm 

michael_taylor wrote:
I am extremely interested in this! Any way I can help? Just let me know!

Anything helps, hints, rumors, talking to historians/old people lol. Takes lots of research to find stuff because things "underground" are easily forgotten or overlooked because of the general disinterest of it by people (which is unfortunate).

I'm currently at a stand still with all my information, no knew leads. And it seems like just when I'm getting somewhere with information from someone, they just dissappear, which has happened several times....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26th, 2010 pm30 10:09 pm 

Are there not records and documents of these tunnels and such being built being kept somewhere? There HAS to be records of this stuff being kept by someone somewhere.... Have you been to all of the libraries and looked through all of their stuff?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 am30 7:48 am 

michael_taylor wrote:
There HAS to be records of this stuff being kept by someone somewhere....

Not if they were tunnels meant to be secret. Sure I've pilled around the library, but you cant exactly look up books and records with "tunnels" in them. In most cases that is far too specific, or the tunnels you are looking for arent actually called "tunnels". Its hard to find stuff unless you know what and when you are looking for.

Thats why its best to find some information from some older folks that have lived in Tulsa a long time to give you hints or clues, otherwise its just a shot in the dark when you go to the library to look.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 am30 8:32 am 

Fiend wrote:
michael_taylor wrote:
There HAS to be records of this stuff being kept by someone somewhere....

Not if they were tunnels meant to be secret. Sure I've pilled around the library, but you cant exactly look up books and records with "tunnels" in them. In most cases that is far too specific, or the tunnels you are looking for arent actually called "tunnels". Its hard to find stuff unless you know what and when you are looking for.

Thats why its best to find some information from some older folks that have lived in Tulsa a long time to give you hints or clues, otherwise its just a shot in the dark when you go to the library to look.

Tis true tis true... But I'm the kinda person that HAS to know why and when it was created when I find something like that, and I wanna know FACT, not rumor or story... LOL... I wanna know WHY they were secret! Geeze I wish the government wasn't such sneaky bastards! I'm JUST curious! lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 am30 8:48 am 

Careful, that kind of determination and curiosity will get you hiding in bushes at night and spending hours in tunnels looking for evidence of mass graves and subways lol. <---- of which I recommend doing.

And I'm afraid some of the facts just might frustrate you haha. Basically like, yeah it exists, but you cant get to it. Like this "underground stadium", yeah it exists, I've found it to be a fact, but you'd need a literal jack hammer or back hoe to get to it, ha.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 am30 9:06 am 

I'd recommend becoming buddies with someone with the City of Tulsa who works on stormwater. I know for a fact that all their trucks carry drawings of all their water, sanitary and storm sewer lines. I've had to coordinate water tie-ins with them before. Also, local civil engineers may be able to tell you how to get access to the city's drawings of the storm system. If you knew who to call you could probably just go down to city hall and request the drawings yourself.

On the topic of the underground stadium, some of those underground features like that are quite possibly filled with water, so even if you had an entrance you might not be able to get around inside it anyway. What's the story with it, why so secretive?

When I worked on projects at the Tulsa Fairgrounds we had quite a few discussions regarding the abandoned coal mines there. There's an extensive system of coal mines under midtown tulsa, however they're all flooded by groundwater. Channel 8 posted a map of them on their website once, I saved it somewhere. Anyway, point is, it may be flooded...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 am30 9:23 am 

Jam Master Jay wrote:
I know for a fact that all their trucks carry drawings of all their water, sanitary and storm sewer lines.

What if I already had ALL that EXACT information??? That may or may not have been given to me by someone who works for the city *wink wink, nudge nudge.
Jam Master Jay wrote:
On the topic of the underground stadium, some of those underground features like that are quite possibly filled with water, so even if you had an entrance you might not be able to get around inside it anyway. What's the story with it, why so secretive?

Oh yes, that has certainly been a concern of mine. But since this "underground stadium" is actually a large basement of a building that is no longer there, it would have drainage. I've been in several abandoned buildings downtown that had leaky roofs (which provided plenty of water to the basement), and basements. Yes, the basements had water lines in them, but they were dry, the water went somewhere... And this stadium is in the same area as those buildings, same water table area, so I dont think it will be flooded...

Its a piece of history, all thats left actually, and its sealed up. I of course want the credit for "re-discovering" it haha.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 am30 11:14 am 

Fiend wrote:
Its a piece of history, all thats left actually, and its sealed up. I of course want the credit for "re-discovering" it haha.[/color]

I understand. Sounds very intriguing.

I have to wonder why anyone would have a property with a sealed basement on it. You definitely couldn't build on it. Just the thought of building over a void like that makes me nervous. That'd lead me to believe that it's an open lot with nothing on it. The fact that you said it was a basement from a building would lead me to believe that it's more than likely exposed, as the first floor would be somewhere around existing grade.

Do you know who owns the property ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 am30 11:31 am 

Well, its actually a parking lot, has been for a loooong time. Here's a hint though, if you go to this said parking lot, you can still see the edges of the orginal footing of the building, including laid brickeds and cut off I-beams, if you look. They probably kept the basement because it would require a lot of back fill to grade it off with street level, which costs $$$.

Someone told me the who the current owner was a while back, but for the life of me I cant find that email... Though I'm still in contact with that person, so I'll probably ask them again.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 am30 11:38 am 

Fiend wrote:
Well, its actually a parking lot, has been for a loooong time. Here's a hint though, if you go to this said parking lot, you can still see the edges of the orginal footing of the building, including laid brickeds and cut off I-beams, if you look. They probably kept the basement because it would require a lot of back fill to grade it off with street level, which costs $$$.

Someone told me the who the current owner was a while back, but for the life of me I cant find that email... Though I'm still in contact with that person, so I'll probably ask them again.

get on that! we NEED to get this thing un-earthed! WHY would you build a stadium underground in the first place? Then WHY would you seal it off??? and WHY is it being kept a secret now????? I WANNA KNOW!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 am30 11:59 am 

michael_taylor wrote:
WHY would you build a stadium underground in the first place?

Well thats just it, they didnt. Its the "underground", of a "stadium". The rumor just got misinterpreted over time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 pm30 12:13 pm 

Fiend wrote:
michael_taylor wrote:
WHY would you build a stadium underground in the first place?

Well thats just it, they didnt. Its the "underground", of a "stadium". The rumor just got misinterpreted over time.

so its not a physical "underground stadium" its the basement of what used to be a stadium?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 pm30 1:08 pm 

Exactly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 pm30 1:42 pm 

Would this happen to be a "stadium" that burned down in the 1950's?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 pm30 2:02 pm 

Jam Master Jay wrote:
Would this happen to be a "stadium" that burned down in the 1950's?

Well if you're asking that, I'd say you know what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 pm30 2:23 pm 

Fiend wrote:

Well if you're asking that, I'd say you know what it is.

I've driven by there a hundred times. I've never seen any evidence of what was there, though. After just checking some google earth it looks like fill has been brought in to that site, as the parking lot that is there follows the slope of the street. I don't see how there could be any access to something if there were something buried there. You'd have to pull something like the scene in Ghostbusters 2 where they jackhammer through the street.

That would be an awesome re-discovery, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27th, 2010 pm30 2:39 pm 

Well, several years ago, the city was doing work on the sidewalk and they accidentally broke into it. Though I dont think they really new what it was a part of. There was apparently a picture taken and its somewhere in the newspaper archives in the library. Also there was a guy who said he drove by when that happened and described what he saw. It IS there, just cant get into it.

Someone has said (a friend of a friend of a friend lol) that you could get into through tunnels. I have found zero evidence to support that. THOUGH, there are apparently closed off sections of the Tulsa (pedestrian) tunnels downtown. Why are they closed off, and where do they go? How ever, there is a 15" drain line going into it, pretty sure I couldnt fit in that small of a whole haha.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next