It is currently Fri Sep 19th, 2014 am30 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tuberculosis sanitorium in Talihina
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14th, 2010 pm30 4:58 pm 

Hey! welcome! thanx for the info!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22nd, 2010 am30 11:12 am 

I live 30 minutes from Talihina. My uncle was the Cheif Executive Director of Public Safety for the Choctaw nation so if I got caught trespassing, maybe I could get out of it. I know local people up there that can probably tell you more than you want to know, and also it's probably not that hard to get in the place. The preople in Talihina are good simple folks that will probably be helpful. I see some posts concerning the safety of visitors. This isn't deliverance, its a community. Anyways, if someone would like to make a trip up there at night I would like to see if we could arrange it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24th, 2010 am30 8:43 am 

Rbreshears wrote:
Anyways, if someone would like to make a trip up there at night I would like to see if we could arrange it.

I REALLY want to check this place out! Maybe one of these up comming weekends...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27th, 2010 am30 1:16 am 

I second that motion!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15th, 2010 pm31 9:46 pm 

abandonedok wrote:

That's the (Choctaw) Indian Hospital in Talihina. It's just down the hill from the old sanitarium. As far as I know, it's still in use.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15th, 2010 pm31 9:50 pm 

abandonedok wrote:
Yes, it is a bit far... 3 hours 48 minutes... But I think worth it.... We are on it! Do we know exactly where it is in Talihina?

From downtown Talihina, take OK 1/63 west for about a mile. Turn north on OK 63A and follow it until you come to a Y. Take the right hand fork and head up the hill. The sanitarium is on the left on the side of the hill. You can't miss it.

To get to the Indian hospital, take the left fork.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26th, 2010 pm30 3:58 pm 

I have driven past the Choctaw Indian Hospital in Talihina many times, looks to be an very interesting place!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11th, 2010 pm31 8:39 pm 

I LIVE IN TALIHINA AND ANYWAY I CAN BE OF SOME HELP LET ME KNOW...918-471-8459 THE NAME RICK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 2nd, 2010 pm30 3:06 pm 

hi, I'm new here. I was just wondering if anyone ever made a trip to Talihina. I'm from Poteau, its about 45 min from Talihina. Anyway. Are you guys interested in the old hospital or the sanatorium? the sanatorium has since been converted into the Veterans Center, and I believe its still in operation today. The hospital was shut down in early 2000's. I was born there in 1982 :)

http://www.ok.gov/ODVA/Veterans_Centers/Talihina.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 3rd, 2010 am30 1:35 am 

I haven't made it down there yet, but I am interested in going. Born there!? That is awesome! Nice to know about the Veterans center as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 3rd, 2010 pm30 5:12 pm 

mamamayhem wrote:
Are you guys interested in the old hospital or the sanatorium? the sanatorium has since been converted into the Veterans Center, and I believe its still in operation today.

Both actually. There is still at least one building that was part of the sanitorium that is in a severe state of decay.

One of these weekends I'll make it down there... It's on the top of my list.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25th, 2010 am30 2:00 am 

I know this is a first post, but I actually joined to add a few notes here. I'm VoodooKitty, and happen to be a pretty experienced Urban Archaeologist (I see that as a bit of a step above an explorer, due to my historical knowledge).

When it comes to Tuberculosis hospitals in general (whether sanitoriums or just hospitals) there is something to keep in mind during your explorations. It is very likely that people will be a bit "touchy" about your exploration should you be caught. More so than with other explorations, this type of hospital has a chance to bring arrest faster than others. The reason for this deals with the history of the hospitals.

Up until about the mid 1960's, doctors didn't really know a great deal about how Tuberculosis was transmitted from person to person. As a result of this, they placed very stringent guidelines on how people suffering from the disease were to be treated. Furthermore, they placed specific guidelines on how the remains of deceased victims were to be handled. Back in the day, when such hospitals were quite common (With Waverly being the largest) people who were sent there knew that it was a place they would never return from. This does not refer just to the fact that at the time there was no effective treatment for the illness; and that it would ultimately result in death, but to the way the bodies were handled.

Referring to the old guidelines, the process of dealing with the bodies was very...shall we say archaic? Even by contemporary standards. Once a person had passed from the illness, their body was not given an autopsy. In fact, standard procedure was to only preform autopsies on those where it was thought the illness had played no factor in their death. Instead, within minutes of death (sometimes while the body was still warm and rigor had not set in) the deceased would be taken down into the basement or an adjacent building of the hospital. Along with them, all possessions in the room, mattresses, clothing, and sheets were taken as well. It was in this room then that the body and all that had come with it would be incinerated.

Note I say "Incinerated" and not cremated. There is a distinct difference here, since it was very rare (in fact unheard of) that families would be given the ashes of the deceased persons. In smaller hospitals, the incinerator used was the same one that daily trash would be burned in. At the end of a week or so of burning, the ashes would be removed; blessed, and then buried on the hospital grounds. Families would be given a headstone to mark their loved one's passing, but were not allowed to claim the body. (Not that it mattered as by the time they were notified there was no body) In larger places, like Waverly, there may be a whole incineration building dedicated to the destruction of bodies and hospital wastes. Sometimes, to ease the pain on loved ones, the hospital called this location the "Crematorium" (As was the case in Waverly) but as before guidelines prevented release of the ashes to the families.

Around the mid 1960's, as more understanding of the disease came, this archaic practice was abandoned. However, the problem for many Urban Archaeologists and Explorers, is the fact that there is always a chance in the incineration plants and incinerators themselves, that human remains still linger. If this is widely known by the public to exist, then law enforcement tend to take a more serious look on explorers, as it is often felt they are exploring a mass grave.

I have much more historical background on locations, and will post it as I see fit. I hope this helps and informs future explorers, as well as prevents any future troubles which could potentially arise.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28th, 2010 pm30 7:14 pm 

Not to step on your toes here but at AbandonedOK we pride ourselves in not only the exploration but the history as well. Please check out some of the locations. But on a side note where are you from? Have you been to this location before? Why aren't the incinerators empty? You would think that it would have been sifted or something. I don't think people were burned at this hospital in particuar. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29th, 2010 am30 8:45 am 

You know whats funny, every time I come across and old incinerator/furnace, I always look inside it to see if I can find any remains of anything.

About sanitoriums being a higher risk, well that really just depends on the situation. I've been in a few myself. The ones I have been to and seen have incinerators outside the actuall sanitorium building themselves. So I don't think sneaking around the building would be very serious.

Having said that, I should think that any remains left around would have been cleaned up or taken care of long ago.

According to the maps of the sanitorium property, I do not see an incinerator. Some old buildings had incinerators inside, but they will have a smoke stack because of the fumes and heat associated with incinerators. Though the abandoned hospital property to the west DOES have an incinerator...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17th, 2010 am31 1:08 am 

not to go off track, but I have stayed the night in Waverly and it was AWESOME!!! lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22nd, 2010 am31 7:59 am 

Freaking awesome! How did you get to do that?

PostPosted: Tue May 10th, 2011 pm31 10:01 pm 

Me again, I can tell you that there was an incinerator in this buiding, I never went down there because the power was shut off but the guys that were building the new hospital told us about going down there with a lantern and some beer, what the incinerator was used for i have no idea but that place gave me the creeps more than any other place i've ever been to. and in my years of working in schools and offices i have been to alot of places when noone was there. Speaking of I should have gotten some pics of the old gm plant before tinker took it over, they sent us in there to salvage office cubicles with miners lights it was cool.

PostPosted: Wed May 11th, 2011 am31 7:35 am 

Ok, I'll throw ya'll a bone. The Harper building was built in 1930 specifically for children with tuberculosis. Tons more info and pics to come as I will be going back for other buildings.

PostPosted: Wed May 11th, 2011 pm31 12:49 pm 

ask and i shall recieve!! thank you sir for posting these! as usually, awesome job and i might just be a little jealous that you got in there!! great pictures!

PostPosted: Thu May 12th, 2011 am31 11:09 am 

Fiend wrote:
Tons more info and pics to come as I will be going back for other buildings.

Fiend, next time you go, let me know. I'd love to tag along. I was planning on making a trip down there myself relatively soon. Split gas and get great photos!