It is currently Sat Aug 17th, 2019 pm31 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OK Auto Manufacturing Company - Okay
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24th, 2013 pm30 1:20 pm 

This is/was a huge stone structure which served several different manufacturing roles during it's short lifetime in the early 1900's. It is approximately 170 feet x 104 feet and was probably twenty feet high with a massive sub-structure. The walls are about 24 inches thick. It has what appears to be a concrete loading dock/ramp that is about 215 feet long by 20 feet wide. Only the north wall and the substructure remain standing. I didn't see any rubble from the other walls so I assume that the locals salvaged the stones as the walls fell. My 1948 topo map shows a highway and a railroad running alongside the building but both are gone now.

The underbrush was incredibly thick making exploring this very difficult. I would like to go back again in winter after the brush has thinned and get some better pictures.

From Oklahoma Historical Society:

The ruins of a stone building that once stood at the southwest corner of town, near the Verdigris River, became a symbol of Okay's role in early-day industry. In 1908 G. D. "Gid" Sleeper, a local rancher, began building a meat-packing plant at Rex. However, the building's first occupant was the Rex Stove Manufacturing Company. The building then housed the J. B. Woods Plow Works, the Oklahoma Auto Manufacturing Company, and finally in 1929 the Okay Airplane Company. All of these businesses financially failed. The factory ruins remained visible into the twenty-first century.

Oklahoma Auto Manufacturing Company, established in a factory near Okay and North Muskogee in 1915 by C. E. Harris, built heavy-duty O. K. oil-field trucks in the World War I era. The operation folded during the Great Depression.

In 1928 a young aeronautical engineer set up a plant in Okay, Oklahoma, near Muskogee to build the "Okay Monoplane," an innovative, low-wing aircraft. The designer was John "Lee" Atwood, later president of North American Aviation and codesigner of the legendary P-51 Mustang. The Okay airplane was the aeronautical ancestor of the famed AT-6 "Texan" used to train thousands of Allied pilots during World War II. Under Atwood's leadership North American went on to build spacecraft, and the company would evolve to become Rockwell International, the prime contractor for the space shuttle.

Snakeskin:

The ramp/loading dock:

My sixteen year-old daughter Kristin:

Post subject: Re: OK Auto Manufacturing Company - Okay
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26th, 2013 am30 6:28 am 

Wow, been in that town a couple of times and had NO IDEA this existed! Nice find!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10th, 2013 am31 6:39 am 

Very cool! Hope you loaded up on the DEET!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 3rd, 2014 pm31 1:47 pm 

We went back on New Year's Day and got a few without the foliage.

This is how we roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21st, 2016 pm30 12:50 pm 

I just read today that the town was originally called North Muskogee but changed it's name to Okay on October 18, 1919 after the manufacturing company.