It is currently Thu Sep 20th, 2018 am30 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Twin Ponds Roller Rink
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13th, 2011 pm31 1:35 pm 

This old roller rink in located on the edge of Star City, Arkansas. Built in 1954, It was the place to be in this small town and was packed every weekend. No airconditioning, but the sides rolled up letting the sweltering Arkansas breeze flow through, and I'm sure, the mosquitoes. I talked with one gentleman who's in his late 50's who remembered skating there as a kid. He said he would count the snakes in the water as he went around.

Called the Twin Ponds Roller Rink, the rink was located next to two ponds with the access road seperating them. Built of wood construction on piers over the larger pond, it was a unique setup.

The main entrance.

Looks like the sign had been recycled from an old grocery store.

The piers where still holding up, but the tounge and groove floor inside had several bad spots.

I'm assuming these additions where where the skates where stored and perhaps some type of snak bar.

You can see a little of the original paint remaining. Looks like it was painted a bright red, blue, and yellow.

Post subject: Re: Twin Ponds Roller Rink
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14th, 2011 am31 3:43 am 

DANG!~! And it is being used as storage?? It looks like an accident waiting to happen, with as bad as parts of the floor looks. Nice all the same. What are those white things, in the first(1st) inside pic, next to the blue shoe??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14th, 2011 pm31 12:17 pm 

Yeah, it was rickety. I guess Arkansas is like Oklahoma, we just wait for building to die a natural death. I'm not sure what they are, maybe yarn spools?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15th, 2011 pm31 4:51 pm 

Now that was really neat!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 6th, 2014 am30 1:20 am 

This old roller rink in located on the edge of Star City, Arkansas. Built in 1954, It was the place to be in this small town and was packed every weekend. No airconditioning, but the sides rolled up letting the sweltering Arkansas breeze flow through, and I'm sure, the mosquitoes. I talked with one gentleman who's in his late 50's who remembered skating there as a kid. He said he would count the snakes in the water as he went around.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 9th, 2017 am31 6:43 am 

Hi I am Wesley Carnicle owner of searkweather.com
I am wondering if I can share your photos and info on searkweather.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 9th, 2017 am31 8:20 am 

This site is pretty much inactive now - in case you couldn't tell by all the spam. I think I was the last one still posting regularly. I still check in hoping for a revival. Anyway, Mr. Taylor hasn't logged on in a year and a half. I don't think he would mind you using the info as long as he is credited.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 9th, 2017 pm31 10:12 pm 

The building and stuff is still there https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9682147 ... a=!3m1!1e3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12th, 2018 pm30 8:16 pm 

The add on building to the right was where the skates was stored. I went there as a kid with my Dad. Yes the bugs was pretty awe full in the summer. Plenty of snakes in the ponds and the sound of bullfrogs could be heard sometimes over the music but for sure in the pauses. The tongue and groove floor had plenty of bad places when the business was in operation I can’t imag what it’s like now. The wire and cable that was sort of safety feature to keep people from falling over the sides. Had canvas flaps that would be rolled up and let down depending on the weather. The air was forced around the roller rink with those huge fans you see there in the pictures and they had rabbit wire protecting the patrons from getting a limb cut off by the huge fans. There was a concession area by the entrance and a small seating area.
Those white things may be the mallets used to repair the wheels of the skates that was always needing new bearings and the brake stoppers. I am not really sure about that particular item. Many a hour. Many miles put on the skates as we went round and round the rink with our family and friends. Lots of fun times.
Oh I almost forgot the water had the floor sagging in places like an old horses back.