It is currently Mon May 21st, 2018 pm31 9:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slick
PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2011 pm31 1:39 pm 

The town of Slick, Oklahoma was named for Tom B. Slick, known among the oil men as "Mad Tom Slick," "Dry Hole Slick", and "King of the Wildcatters."

He was the discoverer of the Cushing Oil Field in 1919 and initially kept the discovery
secret, but within a short time, tents and hastily constructed shacks became stores, cafes, pool halls and various kinds of businesses. A post office was established on April 28th of 1920 and Slick was born. Within a short time the railroad was extended to Slick and a large depot was built. Within three months of the discovery, the town had gone from zero to a population of over five thousand, many seeking to get rich quick. The oil fields where extremely dangerous places, and the boom towns themselves weren't much better. The roads where typical for the era, dust or mud, depending on the weather.

The boom was short lived and by 1930 the railroad was abandoned and the population had fallen to less than 500 people. A fire in the business district destroyed several stores and with the depression and oil production dropping off, more closed due to lack of business. By 1940 much of the town was abandoned. Today little remains of the original slick, other than a few abandoned buildings and homes. A convenience store serves travelers passing through the remains of the town. Some photos of Slick taken in 1940 after the bust and the remains today.

The Slick consolidated high school was built shortly after the boom. A large brick
structure, it was located on the western side of town. Just to the north of the town lie
the remains of the L'Overture school. This was a segregated black school built in the
1930s.

The L'Overture colored school was named after the militant Haitian general Toussaint
Louverture and was part of the so-called “Slick Separate Schools” of the late 1930s and 1940s. Oklahoma had a "separate but equal" policy on schools during this time frame in a failed attempt to stave off integration. The L'Overture school was closed and it's students integrated into the Slick high school when segregation was ended with the "Brown vs the Board of Education" ruling. It appears the school was abandoned and also suffered a fire.

I couldn't find any evidence to support it, but the school very well could have been WPA construction, with its sandstone and brick construction. Today it is a shell in the brush, though even in ruin, it looks to have been a stately structure.

The Slick High School was built of red brick with decorative concrete accents. The layout was the typical, a central auditorium with two seperate wings for the grade and high schools. This school also had a partial second story, though I wasn't able to explore it much due to the stability of the stairs and ceiling. The left wing of the school was missing and had been cleared away some time in the past. While I'm sure there was a gymnasium, it appears to have been torn down. The high school was closed in the 1960's, though the grade school continued until at least 1979. Once the school was finally closed, the town used it for their city offices and as a senior citizen center until roof leaks forced it final abandonment.

The main entrance. The auditorium is through either door.

The entrance to the missing wing.

The existing wing which was the grade school.

The auditorium.

The old administrative offices, later used by the city.

Ditto machine.

The grade school wing.

Upstairs. I stopped when the groaning of rotten wood told me to go no further.

Back outside.

To bad the one wing was gone ,and I couldn't find a gym, though I sure there once was one. An old baseball field was nearby.

Post subject: Re: Slick
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23rd, 2011 am31 8:18 am 

dwtaylor999 wrote:

we visited slick last year while doing a ghost town tour on our motorcycles. i didn't know about abandonedok at the time (i just discovered your site recently while doing some job related research on the tulsa club building.) i got a shot similar to yours. it is now framed on on my fireplace hearth.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16th, 2012 pm31 8:25 pm 

You couldn't find the gym? did you even look? I'm a local and I've been in there so many times, it's not funny.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19th, 2012 pm31 9:57 pm 

Are you talking about the L'Overture gym North of that school? Not the Slick gym. It was constructed with L'Overture, though it may have been used once segregation ended. If that's not it, pics of the gym please.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29th, 2012 pm31 3:59 pm 

dwtaylor999 wrote:
Are you talking about the L'Overture gym North of that school? Not the Slick gym. It was constructed with L'Overture, though it may have been used once segregation ended. If that's not it, pics of the gym please.

I've never been inside L'Overture. I've lived across from Slick High School my whole life, I know every nook and cranny.

http://zetsumeimaru.tumblr.com/post/28284586455/the-gym-and-furnace-room-of-the-old-slick-high

Sorry for the lack of in comment pics. They're too big and I don't feel like resizing them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29th, 2013 am30 1:09 am 

An old photo of Slick. Dated on front as 6/21 but dated on back as 5/29/1921.

Attachments:
Slick.jpg
Slick.jpg [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 15345 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11th, 2013 pm30 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Wow! Great stuff dwtaylor999! Can we use this as a featured post on the main site? Credit will of course be given!

------------------------------

PostPosted: Sun Dec 1st, 2013 pm31 10:11 pm 

Of course, feel free to use anything....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 2nd, 2013 pm31 4:44 pm 

If any one wants to see the gym and furnace room for themselves, I'll show you how to get in.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 1st, 2014 pm31 8:38 pm 

mike22202 wrote:
An old photo of Slick. Dated on front as 6/21 but dated on back as 5/29/1921.

Excellent! I've been looking for old photos of Slick for awhile! Made my day! Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 2nd, 2014 pm31 2:31 pm 

Much of the text detailing Slick's history should be credited to John W. Morris, author of Ghost Towns of Oklahoma, published by University of Oklahoma Press, 1977. It is a fascinating book describing 130 towns that are no longer viable. The book also contains pictures and maps showing the location of the towns.

I would like to join a meetup group for people interested in visiting old abandoned towns. Does anyone know of such a group?
:?:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 7th, 2014 pm31 8:32 pm 

Any particular area you're interested in?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18th, 2014 am31 10:12 am 

I've been in, and taken pics of most of the abandoned buildings in Slick. Even some of the houses.

I'd TOTALLY be down for a guided tour though. Please let me know when and where to be.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 9th, 2014 pm31 4:22 pm 

Great photos of Slick! My son and I passed through there last night and found the L'Overture school but were unable to find this one. We will have to try again for sure! We are new to this
ghost town exploring and love it. Trying to figure out the best places and "rules" as we go along. It's fascinating for sure.
Our first stop yesterday was Skedee and I was saddened to see many of the items photographed in previous visits by others are now gone. There is just something sacred about these old places. There's no way I could bring myself to take something from one....everything left behind is a part of that place's history.
We also tried to find Gandini's Circus in Edmond and were sad to realize it is now posted No Trespassing. I would have loved to investigate that area and take some photos.
I look forward to exploring this site and learning more about Abandoned Oklahoma!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14th, 2017 pm31 12:38 pm 

The old gas station is gone now - if anyone is still reading this site.