It is currently Mon Jun 24th, 2019 pm30 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Harjo, OK abandoned school
PostPosted: Tue Apr 6th, 2010 pm30 9:00 pm 

Can anyone help me find information on this abandoned Harjo school? I played here some 30 plus years ago as a kid, and it was abandoned even then. However, I think it may have been used for some non-school uses since that time. When we were kids, we had heard it was an Indian school. I have done internet searches for it and cannot find much other than a few photos of the gym from a couple years ago and a realtor who actually had it listed for sale a few years ago.

Most of the 6 or so buildings are in bad shape, and the old gym I roller skated in as a kid has burned down. The ceiling lights and basketball goals lay exactly where they fell.

I did not venture any farther inside the main school building than the front door due to improper UE attire. Flip flops are probably not recommended! The main building looks actually to be in decent shape other than some windows knocked out. The front door is completely unlocked.

I would love to go back and do a more in depth UE of the main building. If anyone has access to more information on the history of this school, I would love to know it.

On a side note, I took this experimental shot below in this same school yard of a creepy tree with an Infrared Filter. I thought it turned out pretty cool!

Post subject: Re: Harjo, OK abandoned school
PostPosted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 am30 2:44 am 

Off hand I don't know anything about it.. but I, and I am sure the other guys, will definitely take a look into it man! Cool tree shot too by the way!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 am30 6:21 am 

Awesome tree shot! It's creepy & beautiful at the same time. Yeah go back for more pics. Alot of times the is no info to be found on some structures. It might help to go talk to some of the towns people & see if you can get a story.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 am30 6:42 am 

Tree shot is amazing! Looks so fake that it has to be real haha. I'll see what I can dig up on that school.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 am30 8:11 am 

Ok, so the only info I have found so far is that it was used as a camp, called "Harjo Hills Camp".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 7th, 2010 pm30 9:50 pm 

Wow thanks for the replies! When I was a kid and played there, the only building being used was the gymnasium, and only a few days during the summer when we would all go and roller skate. I suppose that could have been put on by "Harjo Hills Camp" but I do not remember. I remember several indian children there during the roller skating. I am not Indian, but my best friend at the time was. We played around that school all the time as young kids and there was not a camp at all going on during most of the time. I remembered wondering at the time about the history of the school and why it was no longer a school. It seemed so run down and primitive compared to my big time school, Maud Elementary! Ha! Thanks again for the input and I appreciate any more info anyone has. I hope to go back and get some better photos inside the remaining buildings.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 1st, 2011 pm31 2:02 pm 

this is that school wendi and i were talking about!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 3rd, 2011 pm31 10:39 pm 

I did find some information on it. It was listed as a WPA school, built some time between 1936 and 1938, though according to the document, it may not be a WPA school, even though it is listed as one.

From the obits the earliest graduate I found was 1939 and the last was 1959.

I found a reference to Ruth Delorin Lucy, who was a cook at the school for 25 years so I thought I had you a lead, but she passed away in 2005 in Maud. Her son Paul Lucy is still living in Maud and may be a source for some information.

This is a screencap of a PDF file containing a description of the school and its nomination as an Oklahoma landmark, though no date is given on the scanned document.

It was still listed in the Seminole Producer for sale as of Fed 2, 2011.

Check to see if there is a county historical society. Most of these are low budget and have no web presence, but a lot of good information and pictures stashed away.

Attachments:
Harjo1.jpg
Harjo1.jpg [ 90.24 KiB | Viewed 22135 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 3rd, 2011 pm31 11:24 pm 

awesome!! thanks so much! we have only been able to find a little info on this school. over the last few days, i was able to get some updated info on the property from the realtor who has the listing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 4th, 2011 am31 6:44 am 

There is a feature post on this school coming soon as the admin gets his arse in gear!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 4th, 2011 am31 7:58 am 

Sweet!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 4th, 2011 am31 11:57 am 

can't wait to see the post!! wendi and i have been sitting on those pictures for months!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18th, 2011 pm31 8:40 pm 

My family is from that area and I can tell you that my father attended Harjo School. In fact, he had a close friend who attended there with him named Billy Harjo. My father was born in 1923 out by the Old Rock Church on Fairview Road in Maud, OK. He and all of his brothers attended the Harjo School.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28th, 2015 am31 9:00 am 

Hi. My family and I attended this school. I was in the first grade. I believe there were 3 classes in one room. Lots of memories there. 2 of my aunts attended there in high school. My family and my grandparents and 2 aunts lived on an 80-acre lease in the country and rode the bus to school. Some of the families in the area were: Foughty, Patterson, Lamirand, Jett, Moon and many more that I cannot remember. Garland Lucy was our bus driver and his wife worked in the lunch room. We attended basketball games and other activities in the gymnasium. The lunches they served were prepared by mostly local ladies and the food was great. Used to frequent a local store in Harjo for soft drinks, etc. We used to pick pecans on the lease and bartered for staples in Tecumseh, Oklahoma. For more info, contact me or post here. kjlamirand@yahoo.com.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24th, 2019 pm28 3:26 pm 

Hi! My grandpa was the principal of this school for a while.. His name is Dale Smith.