Santa Fe Depot – Ponca City
When Ponca City’s final depot was built in 1911, it was reportedly similar to the brick county seat depots built elsewhere across the system. The depot was extensively remodeled in 1945 with a stucco exterior and various other modifications. The former Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway train station sits beside the mainline running through town, which is now operated by BNSF Railway. Amtrak used this station for their Texas Chief and Lone Star passenger trains. The Texas Chief operated between Chicago and Houston, starting on May 1, 1971. It was replaced by the Lone Star, which ran until cancellation on October 8, 1979. By the year 2000 the building was boarded up and unused. The Ponca City Landmark Conservancy is negotiating to acquire the depot and restore it.